Monday, February 28, 2011

Slideshow of my baked goods (2009-2011) - Part III




Crowns and Jewels....oh the lovely princess cake for my niece Grace. I have the cutest little niece ever. She loves everything to do with princesses and the colors pink. For her four year-old birthday party, her mother commissioned me to do a two tiered princess cake. Since I just made a wedding cake for class, I was excited to practice my new fondant/decorating skills on a new cake (and get paid for it too!). I thought this would be a piece of cake - no pun intended - ok...maybe it was intended:). But this cake ended up being a lot more work than I thought.

Most of the problems were involved with baking the cake. For whatever reason, my cake layers would come up uncooked, sunk in or cracked. It was a nightmare. But at the end of the day, I was able to pull it off.

I used fondant for most of the cake, including the flowers and crown which took a week to make. The thing with working with fondant decorations is that you must think ahead. Fondant decorations require drying time. It's like working with clay - it's soft and pliable at first but it will harden as it dries over time.

Here is the finished cake...TA DAH....


No comments:

Post a Comment